Monday, July 27, 2015

My last offseason....ever

Well...it's been some time since my last post.  About 8 months actually.  And a lot as happened since that time.  2015 was supposed to be a year of fast times and thrilling victories, and it definitely wasn't supposed to be over this soon.  But, you have to take both the highs and the lows in route to becoming a champion.  Right?

Some athletes will try to hide their discontent if something isn't going well, but that's not who I am.  When it comes to my running, I would rather be an open book and be judged, rather than keep to myself.  Why?  Because we all go through it and I don't want people that read my posts to think that professional athletes are perfect.  Believe me, we aren't.  There are periods of time when we have doubts or go through rough times in training/competition.  Whether it's a bad workout, a bad race, or just a period of time where psychologically our minds are elsewhere, it doesn't matter.  All of us have had to deal with it, so you're not alone!

The year 2015 was not what I had hoped it would be.  I never quite achieved the racing fitness I saw in practice, and I choked in some of my bigger races of the year.  I'm not going to make any excuses because at the end of the day, I'm the one running the races.  Indoors, I made tactical mistakes in the U.S. final which cost me shot at a national championship.  Outdoors, I struggled to get sharp early in the season and mentally wasn't ready once my fitness was there.  As I have said in the past, I am my harshest critic.  Anybody who really knows me, knows how true that statement is.  Did I do everything in 2015 right?  No.  But is it time for me to move on and quit whining to you all?  Hell yeah it is.  Next!!

----

So here I sit, in my last offseason ever.  Yes, I just announced my retirement over a year before I plan to officially do so.  I am telling you all this because I want you to understand where my mind sits as I blog about the next 14 months.  It's like going into your senior year and knowing....this is it.  This is my last chance to really prove what I've got.

Changes need to be made to my training both on the track and off of it.  I have not always done everything right and I am comfortable with saying that.  There are some aspects of the sport that I need to focus on with more dedication and passion.  While there are also areas of training where I need to back off.  But I'm willing to change if it means I will become a better athlete because of it.

I'm using this time now, my last offseason, to challenge myself.  To tell that competitor that this is your last opportunity to show to the track and field world what you are made of.  Whatever lies ahead, bring it on.

Please continue to follow as I document my journey to the 2016 United States Olympic Trials and beyond!

-Mike

For questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to post below or email me directly at mikeruttrunning@gmail.com!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Mike. I've followed you and Brian from the U CONN days. From an outsider's view, although you may not think so, you have been very consistent. You guys have both made tremendous strides in an event where it's been very competitive in the US since you both graduated. I've watched a lot of your races, from your 6th place world indoors to some unlucky races where you got boxed it. I'm glad you still want to wait until 2016 to call "retirement ". You've been a great athlete and a role model for a lot of hard working athletes out there doing it the right way. Be proud of yourself and have a great 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting the great content…I was looking for something like this…I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs….Keep sharing
    raw protein

    ReplyDelete