Monday, August 26, 2013

The Decision....and our philosophy at NJ/NY Track Club

Two years ago, after I graduated college, I was faced with a decision.  Where next??  I knew that I wanted to run post-collegiately, but I didn't know where.  I met and spoke with a few coaches from different training groups.  I had to weigh the positives and negatives of each team and what was most important to me.  I spoke with Coach Roy at UConn and we both decided that it was probably best that I leave Storrs, CT.  I wanted to let the college guys develop on their own and I didn't want to be the guy that stuck around as a "Super Senior" for several years.  Next I realized that I couldn't leave the Northeast.  I would be too far from home, friends, and everything that I knew.  From there...it was a no brainer for me.

I decided to join the relatively new, still developing group that was based out of the tri-state area of NJ, NY, and PA.  In just a few seasons as a training group, they were making huge improvements and talented athletes from all around the northeast were joining the team.  It was a group full of runners that I knew and a training philosophy that I was familiar with.  The New Jersey/New York Track Club was my new home, and I haven't regretted it for a moment since.

Recently, many other athletes have made the same decision.  We all come from different backgrounds, but everyone feels that this team is the best opportunity for them to develop into the best athlete that they can be.  Our goals are to be competitive on the US and international level.  We want to be regarded as one of the best training groups in the world on both the men's and women's side.

Frank Gagliano is the brains, knowledge, and experience behind the team.  He has been coaching for over 50 years and has had countless athletes succeed on the domestic and international stage.  His philosophy is pretty simple - mix in strength/aerobic training with speed/anaerobic training.  We will do 800 meter repeats and 1000 meter repeats from October until July or August.  But at the same time we work on speed throughout the year by doing some 200 meter repeats or hills workouts towards the end of the fall, until our summer season has ended.  For a little more specific training schedule, please see my previous post about my typical week of training.

Since every athlete is different and we all come from different training backgrounds, we all have different strengths and weakness.  This leads to a dynamic training group that constantly pushes the envelope in workouts and races.  For example, one of my teammates, Christian Thompson, races the 10k and half marathon while another training partner, Tevan Everett comes from a 400/800 background.  Everyone else is somewhere in between those two.  In strength workouts, Christian will usually push us through every interval, while in speed workouts, we will all be trying to hang on to Tevan as long as we can.  It makes for fun, intense workouts every week.

I am constantly striving for lofty goals.  NJ/NY Track Club will be the team to get me there.  With the recent additions of Russell Brown, Kyle Merber, Donn Cabral, and Robby Andrews, among others, we will continue to grind out the work that needs to be done to turn heads, run fast, and win championships!!

For questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to post below or email me directly at mikeruttrunning@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment